BRIGADIER GENERAL PHILIP E. TUKEY
Assistant Adjutant General – Air, Maine
Brig. Gen. Philip E. Tukey was the Assistant Adjutant General (Air).
Brig. Gen. Philip E. Tukey received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at Bowdoin College in 1939. He began his military career on Aug. 12th, 1939, as an aviation Cadet. In 1940, the general was commissioned a Second Lieutenant and assigned to duty with the 33rd Fighter Squadron, U.S. Army Air Force. During WWII, the general was deployed to Europe from October of 1943 to May of 1946, during which time he oversaw operational and command responsibilities for the 8th Fighter Command, and the 356th Fighter Group. During his tours of active duty, the general flew a total of 344 combat hours with a total of 125 combat missions in the F-47 and F-51 aircraft. After being released from active duty in May of 1946, general Tukey assumed command of Headquarters, 101st Fighter Group, MEANG at Augusta Maine, and the 101st Fighter Interceptor Wing, MEANG at Dow Air Force Base Maine when it was reorganized in October of 1950. Prior to assuming his duties as the Assistant Adjutant General (Air), general Tukey served as commander, 101st Air Defense Wing, MEANG at Bangor, Maine.
1939 Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
1948 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
1952 Military Management Course, George Washington University, D.C.
1958 Air Warfare Systems Orientation Course, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
1967 Aerospace Defense Command Life Support Training School, Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Fla.
1. August 1939 – May 1940, Student, Aviation Cadet, 33rd Fighter Squadron, Mitchel Field, Long Island, N.Y.
2. May 1940 – June 1941, 33rd Fighter Squadron, Mitchel Field, Long Island, N.Y.
3. June 1941 – October 1943, Squadron Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Savannah, Ga.
4. October 1943 – March 1944, Assistant Operations Officer, 8th Fighter Command, Royal Air Force Honington, Suffolk, England
5. March 1944 – April 1944, Deputy Commander, 356th Fighter Group, Royal Air Force Station Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, England
6. April 1944 – May 1946, Commander, 356th Fighter Group, Royal Air Force Station Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, England
7. May 1946 – February 1947, Director, Maine Aeronautics Commission, Augusta, Maine
8. February 1947 – October 1950, Commander, 101st Fighter Group, MEANG at Camp Keyes, Augusta, Maine
9. October 1950 – February 1951, Commander, 101st Fighter Interceptor Wing, MEANG at Dow AFB, Bangor, Maine (February 1951 – September 1952, Activated, Korean conflict)
10. September 1952 – April 1956, Base Detachment Commander, 101st Fighter Interceptor Wing, MEANG at Dow Air Force Base, Bangor, Maine
11. April 1956 – August 1975, Commander, 101st Air Defense Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
12. August 1975 – November 1977, Assistant Adjutant General (Air), Bangor ANGB, Maine
Flight hours: More than 344 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-47, F-51
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Presidential Unit Citation
American Defense Service Medal
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars
World War II Victory Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two hourglass devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 12, 1940
First Lieutenant Dec. 26, 1941
Captain April 26, 1942
Major Sept. 14, 1942
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 19, 1943
Colonel Nov. 16, 1944
Brigadier General Oct. 29, 1957