BRIGADIER GENERAL RALPH E. LEONARD
Assistant Adjutant General – Air, Maine
Brig. Gen. Ralph E. Leonard was the Assistant Adjutant General for Air, for the State of Maine.
Brig. Gen. Ralph E. Leonard received his Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. in 1952. He received his commission with the Air Force in June of 1952, and served as a Pilot during his first assignment with the 56th Air Rescue Squadron, at Sidi Slimane Air Base, Morocco.
General Leonard joined the Maine Air National Guard in December 1957 as a Pilot in the F-89 aircraft with the 132nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. The general went on to serve various operations and command positions for the Maine Air National Guard, to include pilot, executive officer, production control officer, staff officer, commander, director of logistics, and assistant adjutant general. Prior to assuming his duties as Assistant Adjutant General for Air, the general served as the Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Maine Air National Guard.
1952 Bachelor of Science in Engineering, United States Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1953 Pilot Student, Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla.
1953 McCall Survival School, McCall, Idaho
1953 SA-16 Transition School, West Palm Beach, Fla.
1977 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1952 – August 1953, Student, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. August 1953 – September 1953, Student, McCall Survival School, Idaho
3. September 1953 – November 1953, Student, SA-16 Transition School, Fla.
4. November 1953 – December 1955, Pilot, 56th Air Rescue Squadron, Sidi Slimane Air Base, Morocco
5. December 1955 – October 1956, Pilot, 62nd Air Rescue Squadron, Stead Air Force Base, Nev.
6. October 1956 – December 1957, Pilot, Headquarters Continental Air Command, Colo.
7. December 1957 – December 1960, Fighter Pilot, 132nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Maine Air National Guard Base, Maine
8. December 1960 – July 1962, Executive Officer, 101st Fighter Group, Bangor ANGB, Maine
9. July 1962 – September 1964, Production Control Officer, 101st Fighter Group, Bangor ANGB, Maine
10. September 1964 – December 1964, Production Control Officer, 101st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Bangor ANGB, Maine
11. December 1967 – August 1969, Aircraft Maintenance Staff Officer, 101st Air Defense Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
12. August 1969 – November 1972, Aircraft Maintenance Staff Officer, 101st CAMRON, Bangor ANGB, Maine
13. November 1972 – October 1974, Commander, 101st CAMRON, Bangor ANGB, Maine
14. October 1974 – April 1976, Director of Logistics, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
15. April 1976 – July 1979, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 101st Air Refueling Wing, Bangor ANGB, Maine
16. July 1979 – June 1984, Assistant Adjutant General for Air, State Headquarters, Maine ANG, Maine
Aircraft flown: F-89
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with seven oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 3, 1952
First Lieutenant Jan. 27, 1954
Captain June 3, 1959
Major June 29, 1963
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 3, 1967
Colonel April 15, 1977
Brigadier General May 29, 1980